Thursday, September 25, 2014

Unboxing the WASPcam Gideon



One of my favorite things to do while I'm around the water is to record any and all the action, the good and sometimes even the bad.  For some time now, I've been searching for a new action camera to capture all the moments I spend near the water, whether it's fishing, taking the kayak out or camping along a secluded river bank.  I purchased the WASPcam Gideon and want to take you through what you'll find when you unbox the camera and what my first impression are of this action camera.  To check out the WASPcam Gideon, you can visit www.waspcam.com.

So why did I decide on the WASPcam?

There were actually a couple of features that lured me to pick this particular action camera out of the growing industry of today's action cameras.  Yes, it has the quality HD video up to 1080p, a 16MP camera and is submersible down to 196 feet with the waterproof housing...but the big seller for me was the remote wrist watch with the built in Live Viewing Display, LVD.  I looked at this feature as having a huge advantage to verify that I am capturing all the action instead of coming home only to be disappointed when I upload a video and find out my head was cut out of the entire shot.

What's included in the box?

  • WASPcam Gideon 9902
  • LVD RF wrist watch
  • Waterproof casing
  • Waterproof backing
  • Vented backing
  • Swivel T-Tip
  • T-Tip adapters
  • Safety lock
  • Flat adhesive mount
  • Curved adhesive mount
  • Li-Ion rechargeable battery
  • Micro USB Cable
  • Wrist watch charging cable
  • Velcro strap
  • Secure tether
  • Anti-fog inserts
  • WASPcam CD-ROM
  • Instruction Manuals



First impressions

Overall, I was very impressed with the design and layout of the WASPcam Gideon.  The simplicity of the 2 button layout makes navigating the LED display very simple.  I was able to smoothly navigate through the camera settings in a matter of seconds and there was no lag between each function.  Another plus was the bright LED screen, even in the bright sunlight I was able to clearly see the screen which will be a big plus when navigating the water on a bright and sunny day.

The wrist watch is one thing I really like about the WASPcam Gideon and helped in my decision on purchasing this camera.  The .83" Live Viewing Display synced up quickly with the camera and I was able to see the video display fairly clear, there was a slight lag but not enough to cause any negative as that is expected.  The only issue I had at first was connecting the charging cable to the wrist watch, but once I figured out how to angle the connector in place I had no further issues.


Now on to the components...there are several accessories for this camera that can be used for almost all outdoor applications from head mount to chest mounts, rail mount to scope mounts and adhesive mounts to extension poles.  WASPcam has almost all sports covered with their rugged and versatile mounting systems which helps to capture any shot from nearly any angle.  The only negative that I have encountered is you have to purchase cameras or accessories through an Authorized WASPcam Dealer or online.  For some people, you may not be near a dealer, and not all carry items and accessories in-store.  This can be worked around and poses little delay with receiving items, but sometimes I like seeing with my own eyes prior to buying.  I hope WASPcam continues to grow and expand their business to make their product more accessible for every outdoorsman.  (See authorized WASPcam dealers near you)

Want to see my first impressions and unboxing of the WASPcam Gideon?  Check out my YouTube Channel or click on the video below.  I am looking forward to testing out this camera and wrist watch over the next several weeks.  I plan on performing a variety of tests to see what this product is capable of.  I'll be letting you know how things turn out and hopefully will have some fishing videos to share in the near future, until then...

Keep your Tail Dirty, and Fish On!





Unless otherwise stated, all content and photographs are ©DirtyTail Fishing. Please do not copy or distribute photographs without first asking for permission. Paid endorsement disclosure: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of compensation for my endorsement, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please know that I only recommend and endorse products and services that I personally approve, appreciate, and feel would be helpful for readers. All ideas and opinions expressed are completely my own. Thank you for supporting DirtyTail Fishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...